A WARNING over criminal Google Play apps that can hack your bank account has been issued by cyber-experts.
The urgent note warns over dodgy Android apps that have been downloaded over 300,000 times.
These apps are known as banking trojans – designed to log your keystrokes as you access your accounts.
Hackers would create these apps to look like scanners for PDFs or QR codes, fitness guides, or wallets for cryptocurrency.
But instead, they would read your bank passwords, login codes and even take silent screenshots.
Cyber-experts at ThreatFabric exposed the sinister hack attack, describing it as highly sophisticated.
"Policing by Google has forced actors to find ways to significantly reduce the footprint of dropper apps," ThreatFabric explained.
"By introducing carefully planned small malicious code updates over a longer period in Google Play."
The apps used four different "families" of malware to hijack user logins.
And they used clever methods to circumvent Google's usual checks to prevent malware making it on to Android's official App Store.
This allowed the hackers to quickly scale up their campaign.
"In the span of only four months, four large Android families were spread via Google Play, resulting in 300,000+ infections via multiple dropper apps," said ThreatFabric.
The apps would appear harmless at first, but then deliver updates to introduce dangerous malware over time.
Cyber-experts also warn that the malware was so sophisticated that even virus detectors struggled to uncover their nefarious actions.
List of dangerous Android apps
Here's the list of apps as revealed by ThreatFabric…
- Two Factor Authentication – com.flowdivision
- Protection Guard – com.protectionguard.app
- QR CreatorScanner – com.ready.qrscanner.mix
- Master Scanner Live – com.multifunction.combine.qr
- QR Scanner 2021 – com.qr.code.generate
- QR Scanner – com.qr.barqr.scangen
- PDF Document Scanner – Scan to PDF – com.xaviermuches.docscannerpro2
- PDF Document Scanner – com.docscanverifier.mobile
- PDF Document Scanner Free – com.doscanner.mobile
- CryptoTracker – cryptolistapp.app.com.cryptotracker
- Gym and Fitness Trainer – com.gym.trainer.jeux
- Gym and Fitness Trainer – com.gym.trainer.jeux (reupload)
If any of these apps are installed on your Android phone, it's worth deleting them immediately.
You should also consider changing your banking passwords, and checking your accounts for strange behaviour.
- Read all the latest Phones & Gadgets news
- Keep up-to-date on Apple stories
- Get the latest on Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
- How to get your deleted Instagram photos back
- How to track someone on Google Maps
- How can I increase my Snapchat score?
- How can I change my Facebook password?
- How can I do a duet on TikTok?
- Here's how to see if your Gmail has been hacked
- How can I change my Amazon Alexa voice in seconds?
- What is dating app Bumble?
- How can I test my broadband internet speed?
- Here's how to find your Sky TV remote in SECONDS
In other news, Google Chrome users have been urged to delete their browser.
Facebook recently rebranded to Meta.
Check out the best iPhone 13 deals in October 2021.
And take a look at your hidden Facebook rejection folder.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Read Full Article