Council Tax could rise in ‘double whammy’ – how you could get discount on bill

Dementia: Pensioner fumes over council tax changes

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Ministers are reportedly concerned that Council Tax across the UK will have to be increased in order to pay for the Government’s social care ambitions. This is because town halls require additional funding due to most of the cash raised from National Insurance rise is set to go to the NHS over the next three years. The Telegraph reports that families are set to face a “double whammy” of tax increases as ministers are considering a five or six per cent rise on the average Council Tax payment to foot the bill.

According to the Local Government Association, Council Tax bills could rise by more than £250 as the funding gap for adult social care jumps to £2.7billion.

Within the first three years of the National Insurance hike, only £5.4billion of the £36billion raised is set to go into improving the country’s social care sector.

As mentioned in the Government’s published plans to address the social care crisis, any future cost pressures are set to be dealt with either through a Council Tax or long-term cost cutting.

Research shows that the average Band D home would see a Council Tax rise of £261 over the next three years.

This would result in the annual bill rising to £2,159 by the 2024/25 tax year if a Council Tax increase is to go ahead.

Labour leader Keir Starmer MP is one of the many people voicing opposition to Government’s tax increases on working people.

Mr Starmer said: “Working people and families face a tax hike because of the Conservatives’ failures on social care.

“Now they face an extra clobbering through a rise in Council Tax.”


Many politicians, even within Mr Johnson’s own party, feel the Government is disrespecting the British public as the Conservatives are going back on their pledge not to raise taxes, including National Insurance, from the last election.

Since the Government’s announcement of the National Insurance hike, polls are narrowing between Mr Johnson’s Conservative Party and the Labour Party.

In response to criticism of the tax rises, a Government spokesperson said: “We have taken decisive and historic action to fix this crisis that governments have ducked for decades, ending the catastrophic care costs that can affect one in seven people.”

Despite this potential Council Tax hike, some Britons may be entitled to a discount on their bill.

How to get a discount on Council Tax bill

Some people may be eligible to apply for a Council Tax Reduction, which is otherwise known as Council Tax support.

Applicants could see a bill discount of up to 100 percent, however they must be on low income and claim benefits.

Those who are interested in exploring this option can apply if their own home, rent, are unemployed or working.

However, how much someone gets on a bill discount depends on how each council runs its own Council Tax Reduction scheme.

On top of this, applications take into account someone’s circumstances, such as their income, number of children, benefits, residency status.

Someone’s household income can include their savings, pensions and their partner’s separate income.

Anyone looking to apply can do so via the website.


Source: Read Full Article